Search Fixed,Queries Implemented, Graphs Next

Slowly and steadily, the UI is coming together. I moved the queries my team mate developed into the app, so we have about 20 queries developed as per Engineering.com’s wishlist.

screenshot_20161104_175240

With my team mate’s help, we improved my searching mechanism to use RegEx and it helped with accuracy issues. Turns out I did indeed just choose the wrong CSS to implement my hiding as part of the searching.

When a query is deemed “not a match” it gets a “hidden” React property set to “true” (if it is a match that property is set to “false”. That got interpreted deep down in the React code as “make this element have the CSS property ‘visibility’ set to ‘hidden'” if that property were true. Otherwise, the CSS visibility property would be set to “visible”. However, this had the effect of leaving the physical space on the DOM for that element reserved. What I actually wanted was to be changing the “display” CSS property – “none” if hidden were true, else “block”.

Once I made that change, combined with the switch to RegEx, the searching works perfectly. It will let the Engineering.com staff search for queries by their title and description. It would be trivial to add more parts of the query that the searching mechanism is able to look at, or to make the searching mechanism use checkboxes or radio buttons for more types of searches (AND vs OR) or to specify what parts of the queries to search. The screenshot below shows the results of performing the default AND type search with the term “hit rate”. The graph displayed has nothing to do with the data from that query, and is just there to illustrate what might be displayed after the “Run Query” button is invoked.

Screenshot_20161104_175328.png

I began looking into integrating Dygraphs into the React app, to allow the query results to be shown graphically. Most humans don’t speak JSON. This will be something usable by anybody, including those who aren’t particularly technical.

dygraphs

As usual, when considering what libraries to use in the project, we opt to use stable libraries with lots of community support. Dygraphs definitely qualifies. I can’t wait to see how this will display the production data we’ll soon begin gathering.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s